Property Standards Division


The Bossier City Property Standards/Code Enforcement Division is responsible for enforcing basic maintenance standards on private properties. Property Standards were established to protect the health, safety, and welfare of the citizens of Bossier City as adopted by the Bossier City Code of Ordinances Chapter 46, International Maintenance Code, and LA RS 33:4761-4767. The following is a list of violations handled by the department.

Yard Maintenance

Bossier City requires that all yard areas be maintained in a clean, sanitary manner. Yard maintenance is the responsibility of the property owner. A violation exists when the weeds or grass are more than 12 inches in height.

Junk, Litter & Debris

Junk, litter and debris cannot be left in the yard, but instead must be disposed of promptly and properly. This includes junk auto parts, appliances, furniture, building and/or landscaping material, tires, discarded paper, cardboard, plastic, tree trimmings, fallen tree limbs, or any other items that have been discarded.

Inoperative Vehicles

Vehicle must be in running condition with a current license plate and inspection sticker in order for the vehicles to remain in open storage. In case of a violation a ten-day sticker is placed on the vehicle and a notification is mailed to the property owner. If the vehicle remains in place and an appeal has not been made to the department, it will be removed by the city. Towing costs and storage fees must be paid to the towing company in order to redeem the vehicle.


Any condition that provides harbor for rats, snakes, and other vermin. Other nuisances are disagreeable or obnoxious odors or stenches.

Notification of Violation

Property owners are mailed a violation notification letter and he/she normally has 10 days from receipt of notice to correct violation. Failure to correct violation will result in the city taking action by either abating the violation or writing a citation. The department charges a $150 administrative fee per violation and the contractor's charge for abating a nuisance. If the code enforcement inspector chooses to issue a written citation for violations, a court date will be scheduled where the case will be heard before a Judge. Penalties could be up to a $500 fine and/or 60 days in jail per violation.

Vacant or Abandoned Buildings

The property owner is responsible for maintaining buildings, structures and grounds of his or her property. Windows, doors and other openings must be kept in good repaired. Property owners may be required to board up a building/structure if it becomes vacant and is not secure. Accessory structures such as storage shed and garages must also be secured to city specifications. Dilapidated buildings must be repaired or demolished. A notice is mailed by certified mail to the property owner allowing them sufficient time to correct the violations. If the violations are not corrected within the required time, the code enforcement inspector will schedule a public hearing before the City Council. Because of due process, it usually takes a minimum of 6 months from the time a violation is verified by a code enforcement inspector until the City demolishes a structure, if the owner does not take appropriate action.

Fee Schedule for Property Standards Violations

The fee for activities and services performed by the Property Standards department in carrying out its responsibilities shall be as indicated in the following schedule:
  • For any weeds and grass, nuisance, and structural violations abated by Property Standards an administrative fee of $150 shall be assessed to the property taxes in addition to the expense incurred in correcting each violation.
  • For inoperative vehicles an administrative charge of $150 will be charge per vehicle towed. The administrative fee will have to be paid by the owner if he/she wants to redeem vehicle from the towing company. If the vehicle is not redeemed within 30 days of towing the administrative fee will be charged against the property from which it is towed. For repeated offenders, the Property Standards inspectors can issue a citation.
For additional information contact the department by telephone, fax, or email. To file a complaint view the Complaint Form (PDF) and fill in the information required.