Early 1900sJune 23, 1925 as some would say was the night that "Bossier City burned down." As two separate fires that night destroyed many businesses, homes, and property it made the citizens of Bossier City realize that improvements needed to be made. The Bossier City Volunteer Fire Department was organized in 1926 with the five city councilmen serving as the first volunteer firefighters. The first fire station was built in 1928 on Cane St. which is now Barksdale Boulevard The Bossier City Volunteer Fire Department was reorganized in 1929 with NG. Huff serving as the first Fire Chief.
In 1932, Bossier City hired three paid fulltime firefighters. The Bossier City Fire Department was reorganized into a fulltime professional force in 1950, with F.M. Smith officially named as the first fulltime Fire Chief. In 1951, the city opened its second fire station on Waller Avenue In 1958, a third fire station was opened on Northside Drive. In 1963, a fourth fire station was opened on Parkway Drive. 1963 was also a sad year for the department because two Bossier City Firefighters lost their lives that year trying to rescue some city workers. Larry Baldwin and Royce Glen Vogel had been with the fire department for 6 years.