What kind of suits may be filed in the Small Claims Court?
You may sue if you believe someone owes you money. For example, you may sue if:
- Someone fails to return a deposit to you.
- Products that you purchased are defective and the seller refuses to repair, refund or replace.
- You suffer loss or injury as a result of the negligence or intentional misconduct of another.
- Your employer fails to pay wages, salaries or commissions you are due.
- You seek possession of personal property you are due (but not real estate).

The following types of cases may not be instituted in the Small Claims Court:
- Suits involving annulment, separation, divorce, alimony, separation of property, temporary restraining order or injunction, succession, interdiction, receivership, liquidation, habeas corpus, or the title to real estate.
- Suits against a state agency, parish, municipality or other political subdivision.
- Suits against a public official performing official duties.

Show All Answers

1. What is Small Claims Court?
2. What kind of suits may be filed in the Small Claims Court?
3. How do I sue in Small Claims Court?
4. How do I file my claim in Small Claims Court?