Filing Claims in Small Claims Court

The clerk will give you the form, Statement of Claim and Citation. Be prepared to fill this form out completely be either printing or typing the information and by providing the following information:
  1. Your name, address and daytime telephone number.
  2. The complete and proper legal name and address of the party you wish to sue. This party is called the defendant. You will be the plaintiff.
    • If a business is being sued, call the corporation Division of the Louisiana Secretary of State at 225-925-4704 to find out if the business is incorporated or if it is simply a "trade name" and is not incorporated.
    • If the business is incorporated, you should request the name and address of the Registered Agent for the corporation. That is the individual who will receive "service" or notice of the suit. Your should also find out the address of the Registered Office of the corporation, as this is the corporation's residence.
    • If the business is not incorporated, you must find the name and address of the owner of the business, not the name of the business itself.
    • If you are suing someone as a result of an automobile accident and you do not know the owner of the vehicle causing the injury, the license number is helpful for determining the name and address of the owner. You can request the information by contacting the:
      • Motor Vehicles Registration
        7701 Independence Boulevard
        Baton Rouge, LA 70806
  3. A simple but complete statement of why you are suing. This should include dates, places, and persons as they relate to your claim and the total amount you are trying to recover with an itemization and explanation.
Remember, the limit is $5,000, excluding interest, court costs and attorney's fees (if attorney fees are recoverable).